Extraordinary Expressions

English to me is the most amazing language that I have known. Not only it is the world-acclaimed international language (which sounds too corny anyway), it is also the true hub for different nationalities to communicate and understand each other. Minus the arrogance of French and Latin, everyone's practically knowledgeable and some of them fluent in English. I find it amazing because with the English language, we can use so many words just to describe an object: the choice of words can derive from "very easy to understand" to "showing how formal I could be"

For example, when you see an object which you like and find it favourable to you, at that moment, you might think that the object is "nice", when in truth, there are so many other words to make it sound more formal, or more professional. There are always other choices like fantastic, magnificent, awesome, majestic, amazing, beautiful, pretty, and so many other kinds of words to expressed your views about the certain object.

Many people seem to just look at the surface of English, thinking that they just have to learn the basic grammar, basic descriptions and they would enjoy becoming one with English. But repetition of these words and alphabets and people will know how little is their knowledge towards the language. How laughable actually when they only repeat the words they know, describing everything they see with only the basics of the basement in the level of English, when they can ascend to many other levels by simply picking up a good English book to read or just read newspapers, they are bound to remember a few complicating words which when spoken, might impressed a few friends of even some potential partners.

I find English a fascinating language, even though I know I still could not differentiate between verbs, nouns, grammar and all the technical terms of English. English is a good enrichment to my life. I love to express myself using different kinds of descriptions which suit the situation and the timing of whether should I use that word. Even a compliment may sound insulting if the wrong word was used.

It is not easy to master English of course. Just when you thought that you have learned enough, someone who thinks you are too proud brings you to another level in English, which makes your jaw drop, make you admit your insensibility, and you try again. This is what I had gone through, when I thought my English was really good, until I get to see what kind of syllabus did they teach in our neighbouring country, Singapore. I was awed by the usage of English, and, dare I say, I had no idea what all those words meant, and to think that them Singaporeans had to learn all these at a young age, I begin to wonder if I was lucky, or that I was furious. I am still in the process of enhancing my own knowledge in English, trying to be more mindful and paying attention when my friends who are more proficient, speaking with their recognisable British or American accents, being able to verse out a complicated sentence without fear. These people are my inspiration, same to books and newspaper which had helped me alot.

English is desirably challenging and fun at the same time, where so many of us can continue to chase the meaning of English, creating our very own language, embedding the meaning of English. This language gets so many renewing process every now and then, and the vocabulary level increases. It may just be a lifetime education process, whereby even after I was in my grave or in urn, I might not be able to understand English in whole, still I enjoy the process. After all, it is a joy to be able to listen, read and converse in English. I may get some advices from my mom that I should becareful when I said something. What she didn't know is I intent to mean my words. Thanks and good day.

8 comments:

English.. Although i will be pursuing Chinese Studies in my bachelor degree in the future, i will never neglect English because i know the importance of English. =)

 

English is important, but don't get over obsessed about it until you neglect your mother language.

As for the French and Latins, they are just proud of their own language. They want to make sure that every generation will be able to communicate with their own mother tongue.

To me, every language is wonderful.

 

It is not laughable when a person only knows how to use the same word to describe a thing. It is ok for a person to touch on the basic level of English. As long as his/her grammar is accurate and everyone can understand, it is not a problem.
You don't need to use big words to describe everything you see. Sometimes by doing that, it'll only make you look arrogant. Of course, by knowing more is not a harm, but you don't have to laugh at those who only touched on the surface of English.

 

You sound extremely arrogant by saying that it is laughable when a person only uses basic English.
Simple is beautiful, and it is the best. Haven't you heard of it before ???

 

Well I was talking about English in technical terms like being assessed through essay writing or oral test. It is okay to repeat basic words in ur daily conversations, but not really okay in essays and your speech. Examiners are not going to be there thinking whether the student is capable of speaking English in life, they just gave higher marks to the one who impressed them with the large range of English. Sorry if my post was a little misleading. I guess I should have add a part on technical English like essays and oral test. Apologies to those who got offended.

 

English is my passion, I love the language to death. But I think that there are other languages that can describe stuff better than English can. Like for instance, in Eskimo language, they actually have several different terms to describe the different types of snow... What do you think? Even some words in Malay are not describable in English; can't think of them now but I know that there are.

In my opinion, every language is unique and they have their own vocabulary to classify things. Besides, if you study English etymology, you'd notice that many English words are derived from many other languages (especially ancient ones) such as Latin and Greek.

Ultimately, English is an important language to learn. I'm waiting for the day the world embraces a universal language where everyone can understand each other well. =)

 

To me i think the most important function of a language is how effective it is for means of communication especially. As long as others can understand you, it's not laughable to use the same word to describe a thing and of course it leads to no harm by having a wider vocabulary knowledge but vocabulary mostly only shows how in-depth a person's knowledge for different kind of words to describe the same thing and it doesn't show how much he/she knows about a lot of other things as well as his/her characteristics or attitude. Of course one will sound more sophisticated with more professional English words during when they speak, but what's the use of these words when the one you're communicating with, doesn't understand the word? People repeat the same word because it's universal, and understandable. Knowing other words is an extra credit you get in examinations yes its very true, but big words without grammar accuracy brings you to nowhere yes no? cos grammar is the basic of English language as everyone knows, only by perfecting grammar you can make big words actually sound correct. Nevertheless, the importance of English language is inevitable but none shall neglect their mother tongue for this language, it is universal therefore your mother tongue is what made you unique, and its one of the factor which made you who you are.

 

no no no no nooooooooo, you're trying to show how u excel in english language by posting this, but i can see how shallow you are to say those describe things simply are laughable.. hahahahaha u aaaaa laughable la...