The "If" Factor

Many of those who studied in Chinese primary schools would probably recognised these titles:
"If I were to be a millionaire, what will I do?"
"If I had super powers, what will I do with it?"
"Will it be a better place If the world has no sadness?"

These are some of the titles given to pupils when they were young. And expected them to write out their own desires out of it. I'm not sure what happens then when all parents and teachers think alike; because in the end, all essays sound the same. For instance, if the child becomes a millionaire, he or she will give to the charity, will buy a new house for their parents as a sign of gratitude, will start their own career, and will use the money for travel.

The question is: Are you sure those were the desires of children? Children at the age of 8 or 9, that wants to give to charity, buy a house, travel? I'm placing any kinds of bet that if they had RM 1 million in their pockets now, they'd run straight to the nearest toy shop they had and buy the toys they desire. How do I know? I was one of the pupils given to all this titles, and my original essay was not approved by the teacher. The reason : "You are too selfish, you should write for more the people. Share your money with them."

Share? Why would I want to share? Those were mine! My RM1 million! I don't want to let others share. I don't like to see my money flying away! Then my teacher show me some of the articles published on student's magazines on their essays, using the same title as mine, what I notice is that not only their concept is the same. Heck, even the points that were elaborated were the same! They would sure start by saying they'd buy a house, then start a career, then give to the charity, then only their own desire. Young as I was back then, I do what most people do best: being a copycat and just write out the same thing. My teacher was pleased after that. But I'm not.

Over the years the same topic has been published on magazines and yet the essays submitted were all of the same context. It becomes really routined and boring. And none of them notice it until recently when the student newspaper acted by criticising the essays that students submit to them. Then only we see some creativity put inside the essays. But still, the majority love to stick to "old same". Because it is not wrong and a guarantee for marks. The teachers don't want quality; they want to make sure the pupils write in good language that's all.

Education is supposedly a hub to make the children read, write and speak in a better way instead of the slurring and the grammar mistakes that they usually would get in home. But yet they, the school authorities, has taken it to another level, encouraging what Mao Zedong tried to do to the Republic of China: the monomonstrosity. Everyone gets the same thing, same context, same clothes, same hair, same etc etc. In other words, students here are encouraged to do everything the same. There is no harm doing everything the same, except that it kills your creativity bit by bit. Then again, it promotes longevity. Talents like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or River Phoenix, they die early, because they use too much of the "creative juice" that was supposed to run in every body of ours.

Even though I'm part of the "monomonstrosity", I'm hoping to see a better management on education in the future, where students can use their talents to create more colours for the world. Do not just promote sports or singing or story telling competition. Promote other things like essay, critical thinking (which they can criticise something they don't like), practical skills. Make the best of both ways. It is much often that those who score are those who are able to be creative and yet intelligent at the same time. Yet, the education department only see light in those academics than their other achievements that they had.

Oh, and sometimes, creativity only comes when we are in the later stage because we were so used to "rules and tradition" in the past. But it best that creativity be developed in the earlier stages like when children are still children. Then, if there is any essay topic concerning about the "If" factor, we'll see a more variety of answers that has gone through our little young ones. Who knows, they might be the ones worthy to take over the leadership and rule the country. Thanks and good day.

0 comments: