Stand Up Girls!

Today, I've come across a newspaper article, where they featured about Saudi Arabian journalistsdoing their everyday interviews. Now before you leave the post, these people are women journalists. In Muslims countries like the Saudi Arabia, there is a different status between men and women. Women couldn't expose their face for the fear that they will seduce men. And they couldn't really walk out of their office without being inspected by the authority. They have to think and act like snakes, thinking of ways to avoid such happenings. And it got me thinking, things have never change.

Women fighting for their rights are considered a sin. They cannot speak out on how much discrimination that they have suffered. That is because in the world of 2006, this is still a world dominated by men. Even if there are women presidents, like Gloria Arroyo, people still doubt whether do they really have the capability to lead the country to become a developed country. Why the doubt? Hasn't the equality between men and women established some time ago? Hasn't women proved that they can win men over by their brains, instead of strength? I admit, women do lack in strength, but what about mental strength? Are men capable of handling their problems while juggling with daily career life?

There are many women in this world that I admire, but I will be talking about a women columnist, Chong Seau Ching. She first inspired me to travel the world, but with a purpose. She told stories of how she met different women in different places, and how they were educated by officers who try to make womens' life better. She got herself married, and she had a daughter. But luck was not beside her as she later divorced her husband. And she spent her later years as a single mother and a homemaker. She still continues to write in her column. But she uses this opportunity to promote the devastating situation of single mothers in Malaysia. I find her columns always a good read. Because she has inspired me to support women's rights. I learn to fight and not let men look down at women. But I too will not overabuse my rights. Because there must have respect between the two genders.

I pray that the women journalists in Saudi Arabia will escape from the discrimination cycle very very soon. Not only Saudi Arabia, even here in Malaysia, those women who were taught that they are weak and the men are strong, it's time to change. We are not in the world where men are the only ones that rule. Women rule too. But please don't be too stupid to play around. You might end up in a very dangerous situation. Be who you want to be, and support the women everywhere. I'm sure that there are some black sheeps around who thinks that being a women you must satisfy the men. But I don't think so, I'll survive without men if I never fall in love, because I'm a GIRL! We are fighters for women's right. So girls, Stand Up!!! Thanks and good day.

0 comments: