Expensive spoons?

Today's "The Star" there was this eye-catching news article that truly caught my eye with the headlines "Cancer patient gets laptop". I read through the article, and I had this feeling of jealousy. A small girl like her can get a laptop because she wishes to have one, courtesy of "The Star" BraTs and some generous companies. Not only her, other children too had Playstation 2 game consoles, bicycles, but of course, that laptop is the one the took away the attention. Wow. If that is the case I might as well pollute myself, have severe cancer and then ask for a car. Mercedes, please?

To me, this is sort of a false tradition that everyone is keeping. Pity the sickly ones and make their wishes come true. Come to think of it, what more can a patient wish, but for their health to return? Should the little girl becomes too weak, can she still play games at her laptop? I'm not saying that this is not good, but why the so-called "wish list" keeps coming up now and then? Orphanage, Children's Home, many projects were done specially for them, conducting a "wish list", then searching for sponsors to make the project come true. I just had to wonder: What is the true purpose? To make the children happy, or to make the company happy with profits?

I've read articles written by physically disabled people or those who are sick. From their account, they didn't seem to ask for much, just a simple and normal life. I may ask, with such a reward in front of those children, will they still want to battle for their life? Or will they continue to be sick so that they can have more pity instead? I'm not sure what is the true meaning of giving out expensive gifts to children, but I hope they do know how to take care of it. After all, a laptop is a laptop. It's not a toy. One has to take really good care of it to prevent the laptop to detoriate.

I really not sure how much more luxury there is in front of the eyes of the children. Will they enjoy every minute of it? What happens if they are to face the cruel society world? Will their parents come and help scold them off? Sometimes I feel that children nowadays are so pampered that they can't lift a finger to do anything. I don't even have to give an example. My sister and brother are both examples! Just a few years difference and they do not know how to face the society, thinking everything will fall right into place! I had to be sarcastic to make them feel embarassed of the actions that they have done. I don't have the right to scold them, because I'm no role model myself, but at the very least I don't recall that I acted like that when I was young! How many more spoons are we manufacturing? Golden Spoons? Silver Spoons? Diamond ones? Pearls? Gems??

Parents, just wake up. I agree that children are lovable, but not pamperable. There is some limit needed before your child becomes out of control. Let them learn from their own mistakes. The old saying "When you fall, stand up for yourselves", does it even appear in your head? Do you want your child to be dependant. Do you want your child to be labelled "spoilt brat"? If this what you want, go ahead. No one is stopping you. You set your child's path to nowhere. There will no future for the next generation if this goes on!

Thanks and good day.

0 comments: