Little things do help.....

"So, what is the main idea of an essay? Can anyone tell me?" the lecturer starts her lecture with her ever American slanged English. No one seems to have an idea what the main idea of an essay is. "Main idea is main idea, there's another name for that?" someone said. But still, the lecturer wouldn't give up until she have someone answering her question. I know fully well what the main idea is. "Is it the thesis statement?" "Yes, it is, now we can move on....."
Somehow I'm not trying to be someone smart here, but this is because I had this education on what a thesis statement and a topic sentence should look like. And I was only in Form 2.

Back then, my class has this really nice teacher. Her name is Miss Deura. She taught us English. I like her because she speaks good English. She made English classes enjoyable. I remember vividly, that in the first class she taught us the "Thesis statement" and the "Topic sentence". She told us the differences on these two main ideas. At first, it doesn't make sense. Those are not part of what is coming out during the exams. She said, "You will find this useful sooner or later." Those words were imprinted in my mind since then, and currently, I really do find it useful.

I find it unbelievable that in just one class, I've been remembering this for over 4 years. I don't know why. Maybe the way she teaches back then was interesting, maybe I was paying full attention. There are so many possibilities on why I remember it so well. And truthfully, I'm glad I did.

Another example of something that I really remember was a newspaper article. There was this news of an old man celebrating his birthday, but this old man was a gambler. He gambled his life possessions away, and he was hunted by the loan sharks so much that his family couldn't take it, and had abandonned him. Since then, he became homeless and was sent to an old folk's home. I just felt like crying after reading that article. Because to me, no matter what kind of sins that they commit, they should be forgiven, especially when they are in an old age. In my opinion, no elderly people should be mistreated even they did something wrong, when they can't walk or even talk properly anymore. That article, and that picture had hit my chest really hard. He's eating his birthday cake, but had eyes filled with sadness. His advice to the young people that gambling will make them lose everything.

I wonder, had they didn't release the picture, will I look at the article the same way? Will I actually felt sadness? And what about the rest? Those who read the same article, will they feel the same as me? I truly believe this is one that should touch the heart of many, as it had done to me. It has been 3 years since I've read that article, I wonder whether had he reconcilate with his family yet, or had he left this world where he'll get the second chance to live a life where he'll never gamble? But one thing for sure, I knew that gambling can indeed hurt the feelings and the relationships of their loved ones. Some may continue to be with them out of love, but some left them because they can't bear to see their loved one being in that state of life. At least, it did help me realise, those who can't control their desires to gamble, please do not do so.

Little things that happens around us, can sometimes be an impact to us, we may never know it until very much later, but at least it helps us overcome our own problems of life. Who knows, maybe that one day if we are in that same situation as theirs, we will know how to solve it. Life is like that, we absorb the lessons that were learnt from another unlucky fellow who had to endure it before he/she can actually gave us advises. Or maybe, he/she just doesn't want us to be the unlucky fellow like him/her too. Anyhow, this is what life has to be. What comes around, goes around. Thank you Miss Deura for teaching me an unforgettable lesson. It's small, but enough for me to remember it. Thanks and good day.

0 comments: