Who do you call? Blogger or Journalist? Or the Wordbusters?

Lame.

But seriously, if this issue is brought in the international level, we just might have to call ourselves the "Wordbusters" instead of the normal term "Journalist". Thankfully (or is it Pity?) that no one has brought that argument up yet.

What is a blogger? What is a journalist? As far as I recall I study this course to earn the better name of it, to work in the media organisations to write news stories, spread REAL truths. And when I graduate I'm going to share this name with some anonymous people who only has a technology box and a Internet connection that can probably reach the world, as much as a reporter can, probably even more, since Internet has no boundaries or laws.

But just before I continue to rant I really didn't know but since when did the blogger became the same as the journalist? Or is it the business opportunities behind the sharing of terms? You know, more news scoops, more insight news, more bribery, more corruption.......

ok not too far. But bloggers can do it, and in private.

That's the basic idea I thought that merge da two terms together. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) this term is not recognised in this country yet. That is why our very own rapper Information Minister was pleasantly aghast when Jeff Ooi is labelled an "Independent Journalist" when being interviewed by Al-Jazeera English. Well if he is the Information Minister, he should get all the Information. Sigh, maybe he should start surfing the net. I don't quite agree if anyone said that a politician is too busy. Our previous Prime Minister always take the time to read at least a book a day despite his busy schedule. Of course, no one can prove that unless it comes from the previous First Lady or something.

As far as I'm concerned I was quite taken aback with the term. Never mind that Jeff Ooi is a successful blogger, who has an INDEPENDANT blog, (hence giving him the title, and not who he's affiliated to). But shouldn't it be separated? I mean, yes, the media has tried to expand as far as to go to the Internet to spread news yada yada, but still shouldn't they leave the name to those who are working to earn that title? Okay, so maybe bloggers aren't exactly writing for free too, but they get the advantage of time and space, when journalists actually have to finish their work by the deadline. If not, no credit given, no money given. And at least bloggers don't need to attend weird events (Although Jeff and Kenny Sia proved otherwise, attending Pepsi-sponsored concerts and LG events respectively).

But who am I to rant and complain? After all, my current status is a student. I'm not a journalist yet. I don't compete with rival newspapers to earn the best scoop. I'm still not worried about having to lose to the Internet when people just stop reading newspapers and concentrate on the Internet. I don't have to learn how to edit my news as to make it sound casual when it is the most serious thing of the nation. I don't have to face rejection from authority, just negative comments from people who always prefer to be anonymous. Yea, I gave them that choice, they chose it. Losers, but whatever. You can't be angry over people dissing you in the Net. No boundaries remember?

In the end, I'd like to be both. A blogger, giving chronicles of life, not mine, maybe someone else; a journalist, telling what should be told to the public, acting as a storyteller. Strange how is it that we become intertwine with our blogging personalities. It is after all, who we partially are.

Anyone who'd like to comment about the merging of the terms? Or you prefer to address them separately?

As for me, I'll just screw the whole thing, and call myself a "Wordbuster". It sounds so much cooler.

Sign off

Wordbuster Cin

0 comments: