A grandfather's legacy. Untold till now.

My paternal grandfather passed away on Wednesday morning due to lung cancer.

I wasn't feeling that much of a grief before this, as I had faced death worst than this. But as part of the family I'm obliged to attend the wake service like many others. I still went on for the lecture, attended the sports event for a while for my upcoming assignments, and then left for the house at night.

It wasn't much of a grandeur affair, but my mother insisted that it will be, seeing that apparently from what was told and said, grandfather was a great contributor to the chinese community Klang. (Yea, if there's anyone of you reading chinese newspapers, particularly Sin Chew, you'd know who I am and what I'm talking about. I'm still keeping my identity secret. kthxbai)

Little did I know his significance and his presence for the Klang community. The only much I can muster were the many times I had stayed back in Klang to live with my grandparents, due to my "stupidity" of wanting to experience life outside my parent's hands. It was mostly just normal life, other than finding it fun to follow my grandmother around to Klang's Senior Club and watching them play mahjong, learning how to dance (line dancing, senior's favourite), watching them practise for big dinners sometimes. It was in Klang that I found my love for performing arts, it was also in Klang where I felt like an outsider, but still mostly accepted by the elders, due to my relationship with my grandfather.

From the two days of looking through the funeral process, more and more stories of grandfather came up. He was the founder of Hin Hwa Primary School 兴华小学, being a headmaster there for a long time, even during the times when my father was a pupil there. He was the chairman of the board of directors of Hin Hwa High School, Chairman of the Hokkien clan in Klang, member of the Selangor Teachers Association, Chairman of the Senior's Club in Klang and Treasurer of the Guan Yin Temple at Simpang Lima. Which, basically, he was a massive contributor for the Hokkien clan in Klang, and also one of the biggest contributors to the Education Sector in Klang!

Wei, He did so much but I don't remember seeing him receiving any "Datukship" "Datuk Seri-ship", "Tan Sri-ship" and the like. What's this? With all efforts combined he could well be very well-known with many kinds of titles by now.

But I guess he's also humble in a way. I wasn't too sure. I had never got around asking about his past. My late father did not tell much either. But one thing for sure, their family environment was rather well-off, which my mom used to chide my father for "being pampered and did not know what suffering is like". Which is also true, because my whole paternal relatives turn out to be excellent students who also came out working in various "predictable" fields, like doctor, lawyer, businessmen, etc etc.

Same goes for the grandchildren, some of my cousins came out to be doctors, some are studying law, pharmacy, you know, the very "predictable" kind. Only I was the extraordinary. I didn't venture into science or anything "normal", my study was that "out of the norm" and that no one has ever expected me to be in. Of course, considering what they saw in my personality they were very much convinced that I'm suitable to be a journalist.

But it had come to show how much they were expecting of my family, my extended family that were from my grandfather. He came up with the legacy of his own, having his descendents to continue on the proud surname that was ringing around everyone's ears. (in Klang at least) And all of them were sad to see him go. Even I was too, considering how estranged our relationship became 7 years ago when his son died of a sudden death. He was considered a hero, and he had received a hero's sending.

So I'll talk about the grandeur part now. You know how when different associations gather together to give the last respects to the dead? Well, that happens for mine too. Various people from the different associations from Klang and Selangor all came to pay the last respects for him. Hin Hwa has even had school choirs to come and send him off with a song called "以你为荣" (loosely translated as "Proud of You"). That brought alot of tears to us, the immediate families of his. I tried to hold it back but the lyrics of the song was depicting on how they were grateful and thankful to the founder of the school. And as I looked at the coffin. I'm literally denying loudly in my mind. This is my grandfather, not some local hero! He was only a man who did many great things, but not something like what Jesus Christ did to save the slaves, or the Buddha who venture into deep thoughts to save someone else. This is only my grandfather.

But as the hearst went onto the car and drove off to the crematorium, with the school band leading the march in front (yea, a marching band, which according to my foundation mates who were students there, that was their biggest achievement), my heart sank. He really did something for the community. But from my point of view, he'll always be my grandfather. The one that smiles to every visitor he sees, the one who patiently explains the reasons of some things that happen, which I had hoped to rebuke now that I understand further. But also the same one who was quiet during my father's funeral, the one who did not ask how I am now, the one who still smoked despite having cancer (I think he didn't know, but still, he's sick and he still smoke?). So, currently I'm having mixed feelings. Things will run differently again now that the other male from the same family was gone.

I wonder if I'll ever looked back and read this, the legacy of my grandfather. The man who made the Chinese had another school to study. The man who helped rebuild a temple which served as a sanctuary for many. And lastly, the man who started what made my surname famous in that one area called Klang. I wonder if being part of that legacy was something worth being proud of, or just accept that fate and pressure.

But for now, as I had looked and see the coffin going into the furnace, only the words "Rest In Peace" comes into mind. My grandfather left a legacy, but his soul and body are being returned to the world.

I will not forget you. Your deeds are great, even though I do not really know them. Rest In Peace Gong Gong.

0 comments: