Lessons learnt from the first tag

I called it a first tag because I was really just tagging another person who is the real deal XD. The real freelance journalist. Haha.

Rin was the enthusiastic girl who loves nature so much that she invited me along. Padan muka, I told her she couldn't handle it herself, so she should invite someone else to go with her.

Then she said, "Why don't you come along?"

=.=

So went off I did, made a little mistake when I parked at the wrong spot at 6.50am, but at least I didn't delay them much.

A one hour drive, on a Ford Ranger (first time sat on it, meh, not comfortable at all) to Tanah Merah, Negeri Sembilan. Where we are going to get our first assignment, to cover the event of the closing of the project between the NGO, and the big corporate company with Tree Planting.

So after a quick change, we saw all the Boss boss sekalian, suddenly we go speechless. I don't know any of them! Argh! What am I supposed to say?

Then after the breakfast, I saw the founder of the NGO that gave us this assignment. Wah, not bad, quite soft spoken, and speaks English rather eloquently.

One rather cool thing was the VIP there, although he wasn't so cool when he first arrived. The moment he arrived, everyone stood up and go "Boss, Boss" and shook his hand. Then my mind was thinking, "Hmm, must be those kind of VIP who take the hoe and smash it to the ground three times and that's it". Rather distasteful.

We further had that thought when we came by only one car, and we needed to get into other cars because the members present were a lot. So we needed to hitch a ride at another car, then that manager saw this and he said, "No worries, I'll sit with somebody else. My driver can drive you there."

Okay. Big tall car. Singapore car license. Driver. This is really a rich guy. Distastefulness felt. Although we were smart enough to not say anything.

Then as we reached to the plot, where the tree planting actions were supposed to be held. They were briefed by the original worker when suddenly, that VIP stopped him.

He got his hands dirty and taught us the proper way to deal with plants, because he used to handle Palm Oil trees.

Fuyoh. Everybody was clapping. And he went on and taught the others on how to plant trees. Everybody have fun, sort of. Ha.

My misperception came from the fact that the VIP was young, and that he probably got the top position without knowing what oil palm plantation is really about.

However, after a talk with our senior supervisor, apparently he's involved with the estate plantation for 30 years and he started from the bottom.

30 years? He barely looked over 40! Not to mention he's quite good looking.

Fuyoh, my misperception changed. There are really good managers out there after all. Those who REALLY understand how is it like to deal with these sort of business. I salute those kind of people.

To those "undergraduates" who think they can apply the top position and stay there, Ptui, learn how to mingle with the common folk first. Get their respect. That's where the PM failed I think.

Then when we came back, instead of the typical syrup, they served the people coconuts, as in, REAL coconuts, freshly plucked from the coconut trees they had planted nearby. Really a good finishing touch, as Mr. Founder said.

After that, a few of those managers came by to talk to us. Ha, we really are amateurs there, what more when I was the youngest (I'm not even 20 yet! I feel so insignificant! Gah!). A quick chat with them revealed that they really didn't know what they were supposed to do until they were there, as they had admit rather bashfully.

So, this is a pseudo-event? But some of them were really knowledgeable about the whole project. Mr. Founder were briefing to them about the money that could be used resourcefully, purchasing RM30 - RM40 per tree seedling, and he revealed that they can get them in Sabah for only RM5! 0.0

With the money that is usually as expensive as your typical nasi lemak or char kuey teow in Kuala Lumpur, you can purchase a natural forest tree seedling in Sabah.

I should ditch my nasi lemak allowance. Haha. I want to go to Sabah! But, Sabah's airplane ticket is equivalent to 100 natural forest tree seedlings.

Sigh

Other lessons I've learnt:

- Mr. Founder is a Muslim, but he couldn't speak Malay (Or at least that's what I think. Didn't ask him, so sensitive). Maybe he's a convert. Maybe he's a foreigner cause he don't look local. My senior supervisor was telling us the little mistake he made in Kulim yesterday. He addressed the audience who are mostly adults, as "Budak-budak". And he was the only English speaker to a mostly Malay audience. So today he was saying "I did mess it up didn't I?". He didn't want to speak Malay because he didn't want to be criticised as having the "slang". Aww, so cute la. Moral of the story: Don't judge a book by its cover.

- I saw two Malays who are very good in speaking Mandarin. I haven't seen those ever since I left my chinese primary school. It's a very nice touch. But my English was better. I only spoke Mandarin to people whom I'm close with.

- The Mr. VIP case. That guy deserves to be the Boss. =D

- My senior supervisor who told us a few stories about European boyfriends. My gosh, their cultures are really different. And it was really funny. =D will tell you more about it when I know more about European stuff.

- My love towards greenies has been restored! I'm not sure why am I such a forest freak, but since young I've been to more forests than beaches. Really, I'd rather get sucked by leeches than getting myself salty wet.

Woot! Bring it on! Rin, if you are reading this, I hope you get more assignments, then I'll be tagging you along. XD

Ciao!

0 comments: