"I'm sorry to say, your generation is probably going to suffer the worst"

He told that to me when we sat side by side at the Convention Centre.

I barely knew him, but he was friendly, he smiled, and he asked a lot of questions. I doubt he's actually a Malaysian because a Malaysian won't be that curious about the press.

He said it was a good thing I came to listen because I'm young and I don't know a lot about investments.

I totally did not understand a word of what they said but I did catch a few main keywords that can be used as the article.

"This is bullshit," I told him.

I knew it was bullshit. My mom used to do unit trusts too. You can't make money out of investing in things in Malaysia.

Then he told me about Anita Mui and Leslie Cheong, how they spend quite their savings investing in unit trusts, letting them mature, and they now leave a few hundred million for their loved ones.

But they are dead, I thought to myself. The money all over the world will not bring them back to life.

"The problem is that, they forgot to mention about the corruption part"

"Malaysia is very corrupt. Your generation will suffer the worst of it. It'll be like the times after World War II. Because these people will take your money, and run away with it."

"I'm telling you this because you look old enough to be my daughter. And I felt that it's a waste if you have to go through conditions imposed upon you, and they are not caused by you at all" he said.

"I got to go. The bus is here." He put on his shades, and left.

That Singaporean/Hongkie unit trust salesman, he was thankfully one of the more comfortable people I can talk with.

But I forgot to tell him, that I actually know it's happening.

And I'm prepared.

0 comments: