A lonely review of a great movie

Dear empty space,

I'm filling you up now. I wouldn't know when I'll stop. But this review will have an ending, I'm sure. Because this is where I can pour out my feelings of exhilaration after watching a movie, which no one had interest, nor can I share my feelings with anyone. It is a review that only I will read.

It started with my normal schedule of going to classes. I saw Dylane. My mind flashed. I tried to invite her to come and watch with me a movie worth watching, called "Amazing Grace". She seems intrigued over it, but she said she had other plans. Because our campus was going to show "Stranger than Fiction" and getting reviews and criticism circles. I sighed. It's okay, I told her, I'll just be a lone ranger.

This is the trailer of Amazing Grace:



It is an intriguing trailer for me, as I have found this movie from Edward Ling, political secretary of Hannah Yeoh. However, it was showed at GSC International Screening, which meant two things. It will not be a blockbuster success, and It will be presumed a boring movie. Nobody will be interested to watch what they presumed as lame crap.

I started deducing who would and who wouldn't go with me. Boyfriend couldn't go, he have this music video pitch going on and he had to be in class. I've tried asking others, but, they have their things to do. So, I just booked one ticket for myself, to go and watch it after class.

Class ended early today, and I went to boyfriend's house awhile to send an email, after that it's time to go to the shopping complex. It's pretty jammed, seeing that I went there when everyone else in office was having lunch break. Got my ticket. I saw the seating screen. Seems to me that not many will go and watch a movie of an international screening. Maybe they were afraid it'll be too artistic for anyone's liking. Like those in the Cannes Festival.

Went to a nearby McDonald's and got my usual set meal. I sat down and read the last few chapters of James Patterson. Found a two-seater that was just enough for me to eat. It feels so serene yet lonely. Because movie outings are usually done in groups, or in twos, but I'm so very much a one man show. James Patterson did some tricks though. Very moving story, but I think it was too short. I love a longer chapter to read.

Nearing 2p.m. I went to buy popcorn and mineral water. Cutting down on carbonated stuff now. But I don't think it matters. It's my own health to be looked upon, not others. Waiting for my cinema number to be flashed. And within 5 minutes, I'm in.

Just as what I've expected. Only that few cats and dogs inside the cinema. No one was particularly interested in the film I guess. It was just something to kill off time. I don't know why did I want to watch it so much. Looking for some political inspiration perhaps? I don't know. As I sat down to watch the story unravel, the life, the true story of William Wilberforce, and the origins of the song Amazing Grace.

William Wilberforce was the first English MP to try and convince the Parliament, that the slave trade, which was what built the nation in the first place, should be abolished because, Thousands of African slaves died just by trying to come to Jamaica, to work on the sugar trade. He and his friend, William Pitt, who became a Prime Minister by 24, both political allies. Wilberforce, however, have had alot of objections from the Parliament, as he became one of the first groups of slave abolitionists in England. Yet again, his Bill had time and time and time again been rejected due to the votes made in the Parliament.

15 years later, he became very weak, with sickness, and upon meeting his future wife, Barbara Spooner, who demanded that he relinquished his memories for her, for she was only 22, and was a product of free education, which was what Wilberforce had proposed to the Parliament.

It was revealed in the movie that his friend William Pitt couldn't really help him nor back him up because as Prime Minister, he had to attend to urgent measures, and England at that time were plunged into the war with the French, the French Revolution War as they say. But 15 years later, Wilberforce was convinced that his time has come, as the War is now over and that the people of England were shifting their views back to the immediate issue, slave trade.

He went to find his mentor, John Newton (and also Amazing Grace's lyricist). He found that John is now blind. John Newton used to be a slave trader, and having that he is constantly with death and with these African slaves, he said that 20,000 ghosts were with him. When he was younger, he didn't want to recount his stories of slave trade to Wilberforce, because it was a nightmare to him. But as he is blind, he now feels better to tell it out. Because he knew that as a blind man, he could not weep. And that his nightmares of 20,000 ghosts will not be there. He had also said, "I wished I had remembered those 20,000 names. Because they all have names, beautiful African names." and he weeped, without tears. I was crying too. I felt sad for a man who only dared to relive his moments when only he turned blind. ("I once was blind but now I can see". It's the irony of it.)

Finally, with all the first-hand accounts accumulated by the abolitionists, William Wilberforce, try once again, to push the Parliament to abolish slave trade. And with the votes, 283 MPs agreed to slave trade in contrast to 16 MPs. William Wilberforce finally had his Bill passed as a Slave Abolition Act. It was a poignant moment, possibly the only scene I've seen without emotions and yet I myself was crying. Why did I feel like that? Is it because, for once, I want to see a major change too?

And finally, Lord Charles Fox stood up, and said that some of us may think that Napoleon is a patriot, because he resolves his issues through war, He may be a hero, but he is a war hero. William Wilberforce, on the other hand, was a man of peace. No guns, no battles were used. It was him and his petition. It was his voice, multiply by thousands of support to finally make his dream come true. This was William Wiberforce's dream, to change the world.

Finally the bagpipes version of Amazing Grace were shown to us, 4 centuries after the Act was established. William Wilberforce was a man who fought for freedom, till his death.

I rated the movie 8.9/10. I love the overall storyline, I love the emotions, it seemed proper and accurate. I loved the film so much that I feel like telling it to others. But I thought properly: Who would listen? who would be so politically aware to listen to me, bullshitting about some dead politicians and his actions? who would? No one had the time, or the interest.

Dear space,

I've told what I can. Hopefully, when I read back, I'll fall in love with the movie once more. This is not to be missed. However, this is a lonely movie released in Malaysia, made by a lonely reviewer. Only people with loneliness will go and watch it. I'm one of them.

I love myself for that.

1 comments:

Hey, sorry I couldn't go with you! Would have loved to accompany you. So sorry. Will try to make it up to you next time, ok?