How do you react to disappointment?

Lets say, we go back to the childhood times when we were innocent kids and like the princes and princesses in Disneyworld, your wish will come true no matter what are your demands.

You want a nice schoolbag for your new year in school, even though your old one isn't that bad looking, you still want a new schoolbag. You are a princess, and a princess always get what she wants.

You asked your parents, because no matter how a princess you are you are still afraid of your parents who are much taller and bigger than you are. Your mother did not like the idea, but your dad supported it.

"On one condition" he said.

You looked at him innocently, wondering what condition might that be, just so that you can get a pretty schoolbag. You didn't mention what kind do you want, but a wheelie will be good because its the latest trend to roll those bags to class.

"Be in the Top 10 in class, and I'll get you a schoolbag" he smiled.

So with excitement, you kissed his rough cheeks and ran off. It's amazing that an 8-year-old could run like the wind.

You started doing your homework dilligently. You tried pretending to listen to class and understand Mandarin, even though you don't know what the heck that means. You tried to do all the Zhao Ju, Chao Xie (lazy to translate, let someone who knows Mandarin translate for you), even though your level of Mandarin was really bleh.

And then you sat for the final exams without thinking much of what happens. You knew you tried.

The class rankings came out. You were in Number 8. You were ecstatic. You actually ran home and showed your grandma who was trying to cook than to entertain you, even threatenned you to scald your skin if you don't leave her to her cooking.

It was dinnertime. Your parents just came back, you waited patiently and ate your dinner. Your dad went to play with the young brother. And then you showed him your report card.

He grumbled about you not being able to become No.1, he again boasted about his rankings and mom's, and then scolded you for your bad marks in Zhao Ju. He even made you sit at the hall until you can make sentences from the words given.

You timidly asked for the schoolbag.

He yelled even harder.

So You sat at the corner, tears, big fat and wet tears trickled down your face as you struggle to do those....those sentences. You don't even know what Zhao Ju means, and you don't know why you have to do it, but you still do it. You do not dare to cry loudly, and your parents thought that you were crying because you regretted not doing even better in exams.

A few days before new school term starts, you got a new schoolbag.


XXXX

I left that schoolbag aside, until my bag really begin to worn out.

As I told the story, I could feel my eyes water. It was one those first promises that my parents broke, and yet they thought of nothing of their children, just assuming as they like to.

I don't like the fact that my parents broke a promise, and then tried to patch it up again. It just don't feel the same. They made me work hard to earn something that I don't get, and then when I feel better they just give me something when I least want it.

How is that a good thing?

By the way, how do you react to your own broken promises and disappointments?

I'm telling this story because I'm feeling disappointed after having a long chat with someone not my boyfriend. And my feelings were exactly like how it was when I was eight.

My solution is to listen to Lady Gaga's Just Dance on repeat.

That's how I curb it. But I don't know how to react if I really get what I want.

0 comments: