Please don't say that we don't care

I was taught to use my own money when I was younger. Not really in primary school, but it really started when I was in Form 1, right after my father's demise.

I started to love Chinese boyband Energy, hence whenever I see them releasing a new album, I'd want to buy one. However, requests to ask for purchase it were all rejected by my mother, and back then Mp3 sharing was not a big deal. It was hard when you want to listen to music, and it's unlikely that the radio stations will keep broadcasting the same song everyday.

The final straw came when there was a really big concert coming up, and my mother will not budge no matter how I cried or pleaded to her. I was left brokenhearted, so was my sister.

Therefore, I made up my mind, and after having a discussion with my sister, I've decided to....save my allowance.

I do not get much. While the rest gets to enjoy about RM10 per day, I only get RM5 per week to eat one packet of RM1 nasi pedas during recess. But instead of eating them, I silently kept that RM5, and smiled and telling my friends politely that I'm not hungry even though I was actually starving inside. I got the tendency to look at other friends' food which drew really fierce looks from them because in their eyes I was "greedy" for their food.

And what do I do with those RM5 that I've saved? I used them to buy music albums, with their really expensive prices that could go up to RM40 - RM50 at times. I knew I couldn't do it alone, hence I've discussed it with my sister, and that was how we actually saved it up together and buy one album.

We do attend those activities whereby we queued up really eagerly to get signatures and handshakes from our favourite idols. And there are many times we had promised to switch places because they only allow album holders into it.

And the concert tickets were products of bargaining with my mother, by saying that we will pay her with the only resource that we could get other from her weekly allowance: Red packet money.

Yes, that was how we quenched our thirst for loud music and bustling crowds. And frankly, the satisfaction was far greater because we knew we came here via business conceptual thinking.

Of course, there was also the time whereby I went to work after SPM, not to gain working experience, but to earn money, so that I could get what I really wanted: a handphone.

It was nothing really big actually, just a common Sony Ericsson K700i. It was my baby and I cried whenever I couldn't find it. Even till now I still feel the pinch when I stopped using it because, that was the first RM625 that I could afford to buy a phone worthwhile for two years, and with it, countless memories with pictures inside it.

So I dare say this, Zewt's blog commenters who recently go and blast all the youngsters that they couldn't appreciate things, which part of your life that you didn't like about us now?

We could be sipping coffee filled with money we've earned when we're free, like the weekends? Those promoters who stood around, sometimes with high heels, smiling to every customer just to pass some flyers which you will not have noticed and threw into the trash can. Or pouring to every customer inside a hypermarket a cup of fruit juice which will all come back mostly with trash and no more sales made.

That is really thick from Yuppies like you people to look down on us who, I think have better and more careful financial planning. Because we can still enjoy ourselves even as we are students.

Shopping malls? Oh please that's small stuff. Unlike you credit card people who bust it up during every PIKOM PC fair, looking at young promoters, who sometimes had to bare their skin to lure your leering stares into buying the products which are not even ours in the first place.

Dudes and Dudettes, we ain't the one browsing expensive Bonia stores to buy ugly bags or horrendous t-shirts. We are probably paying for a RM9 fruit tea, in which the waters are refillable so that we could enjoy the atmosphere ONLY. At most we enjoy a good movie, or play it up at the arcade. If not, which part of "frugalism" did you see in youngster culture?

So until you people do realised that we as youngsters do suffer from the RM2.70 rise, and frankly really felt better for the drop, because people from YOUR older generation fucked up the petrol price in the first place....

Stop blaming on us for the mistakes. We probably care more than you people ever do in your whole lifetime.

S'cuse me, I'm going to enjoy myself window shopping in Sunway Pyramid later on, which is probably free, plus the RM1 parking fee, and that, at most, RM15 petrol by driving there.

Ba-bye! *bimbotic wave*

The article who pisses Yuppies off can be found HERE, but original content can be found HERE.

And these people are the ones who said that they do not believe in the mainstream newspapers. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

This further proves that we are more aware because I don't believe 100% of what newspapers said.

P/S: Please read this article by the awesome Gen Y blogger Nigel, and please tell me which part of the video has youngsters inside, Kthxbai!

6 comments:

LOLZ...I've just laid my piece on that guy's blog as well...

Can't stand such one-sided people...

KEEP IT UP!!

 

when i first read your comment and EC's in my post, i tot you were part of the non-income-earner-yet-spender who are different. but after reading this, you're different from another perspective. you are able to see things from the other side, has better financial planning becos of what you have gone though, i.e. the demise of your father and the pain of having to save, which i had to go experience as well.

if you noticed that i have written, i am talking about "non-salary-earner", if one is standing on high heels trying to sell some stuff, then one does not fall within such category.

also, if you noticed some ppl who shop... you can tell from their look that they are just not the type that will not be saving their money and standing on high heels the whole day to make a few bucks.

judgemental... probably, but i have feeling you know what i am trying to get at.

 

I think everybody is missing the point here. I say this because I was once in the 'student's' shoes, getting flamed just because I was 'rich' and 'just started working' and 'still young'. Screw the working class idiots.

Who cares if the 'student' is working or not? Who cares if the 'student' is rich and can afford the petrol?

What matters is that the opinion was valid - Malaysians really do not appreciate the drop. Heck, I am now working and pay for everything myself and I believe that the government are idiots for dropping the price in the first place.

If the yuppies worked harder, they wouldn't need to complain about how everything was so expensie.

 

Every one is missing the point except Vincent and he's the only one who is ALWAYS on the right side. Screw you too.

EC, you are no better yourself when you did not even read zewt's entry properly before giving your 2 cents worth. It says a lot about your character. Can't blame the working class citizens for having 'one-sided' views on people like you, right?

 

Dear Anon,

Awww, why so screwed up? Maybe you should loosen a few screws and listen to what I have to say.

Dear everybody,

I know about the price reduction and how everybody say that it could have dropped even more. But seriously, I was targetting at the blog commenters in zewt's blog who openly criticising youngsters around, without checking the facts. Excuse me, you guys have blogger accounts and it's free, we youngsters can also go look at what you write and rebut them as we please.

Plus, don't try to assume that one group of them = the whole of us.

I may not represent the whole of youngsters and at most, just the university/college students. God knows which youngsters were you looking at, maybe the even younger generation who I agree with everyone above, that they are spoilt and all. But hey, everybody will learn right.

Don't judge and give sentences to us already. Mutual respect should be more like it than continuation of condemnation.

Thank you.

And anon, don't be a prat. Vincent is awesome himself that he don't need a kaki ampu like you.

And it's okay. We'll soon join your class. Probably make your life a living hell.