That Generation Gap

Today marks the second time I'm blogging about Ephyon's birthday. To remember it, I shall post a problem that I have with Ephyon sometimes.

He had a certain disregard for people younger than him. That's right, you heard it, we, the university mates, are mostly younger than him, and he disregards us! >(

Why? Because apparently due to the constant change in our education system, which slanted more and more towards memory power than creativity and multi-tasking, the generation from 1987 onwards were all products of stupidity, according to him.

I hate it when he argues with me as if I'm supposed to know some stuff.

Like the fact that Captain Nemo was a very famous book character called "10,000 leagues under the sea" but I didn't know because I was playing a game called Azada 2 and it features characters from various literary classics. (on a side note, Azada 2 is fun =D) Or the fact that with my vast usage of language I could've expand it further if only my knowledge of certain Western topics would expand!

>_> He expects me to be as "intelligent" as him, or as fluent in English as he is!

And when I didn't want to argue he'll said "Oh well, it's the generation gap I guess"

God I hate that word so much, I tried so hard to repent my "mistakes" by Wikipedia-ing more, read more, and learn more. But it's never up to his standards, ESPECIALLY when it comes to literature.

Never for once he'll bow down and tell me that I for once, am more knowledgeable. T_T Am I really that bad? That Politics is the only strong argument I have against him?

Oh, except for one thing *rolls eyes*

Chinese literature. Because after 11 years of education in a Chinese school, his grasp of Mandarin is weaker than mine.

But so what, he'll shrug it off, and then going back to complain to me how narrow-minded the people are these days, that this is their limit (with a hand sign indicated as a border), and oh, the ignorance of not willing to touch literature or finding more opportunities to increase their command of English, and the fact that I read lesser books than he does.

But he never know how hurt I am whenever he said those words. So just because there is a generation gap, that I have to make myself feel inferior than he is?

Instead of educating me because he loves me, he disregards me because of his stereotype towards people younger than him.

I think the only person he had utmost respect would be Dylane. Because she reads as much as she can, and we are at the same age. I love her too, but urgh, his stereotyping.

Stupid male hormones. I curse that element, seriously.

He is an asshole when it comes to

1) Comics
2) Literature [especially classics! T_T]
3) Current issues.

Sigh. It is a problem, albeit not a big one, but one that I didn't like to deal with. It's just abit sickening. I know sometimes I am ignorant, but due to my limited exposure (not to mention my fantasies with Disney. I was drowned in cartoons since young), I didn't really come across books that I really like, except, History and Legendary tales, which could be Fantasy.

Our famous quote was that a 2 year gap had spun out many differences, especially in terms of exposure. Him with me, mine with my sister.

Sigh.

Happy birthday asshole, enjoy your 22nd year filled with happiness, and your lover here. I couldn't really give much, nor is my language as strong as yours, nor do I really love to read, but you know what?

I love you anyway. And you did love me for a reason, not for other reasons that are consistent with your stereotypes sigh.

I hate to be reprimanded by you, seriously, so can you just keep the opinions to yourself for a week at least? =(

I wish I could just weaved out a poem, as quick as it could be, but too bad, my mind is still blank, as I've just finished exams.

What else? I think that's it. There are many more I can talk about you, but I'm saving it for many years of your birthdays to come. =)

I love you asshole, kitty, boo, fatman, hairy potter, Ephyon.

0 comments: