Malaysian

Three weeks ago, we were sitting on our last lecture of Comparative Politics. It was the political structure of China. And our lecturer went through it really quickly, because the structure is, err, all just by guessing on how their political structure is like because China still remained part of their closed-doors policy?

Yea

Anyway, as I was saying, our lecturer then told us his worries about our country, what has it been coming through (Back then the "Bar Council protest" was still the rage, hence the trigger the need to discuss). He relate that the problem with us is that we are unable to identify ourselves as a Malaysian.

Then he asked, "What makes us a Malaysian?"

Most of them hurried to go and answer.

"Because we can eat all the food! Nasi Lemak, Roti Canai, Char Kuey Teow..."

Lecturer replied, "Is that the only thing that unites us as Malaysians?"


"We stay in this country. We are able to compromise. We can speak multiple languages..."

Lecturer replied, "During the formation of Malaya, was that willing or forceful?"

"We are all proud of the Malaysian flag, our rich history..."

Lecturer replied, "Our history can only be rich because of the Malaccan sultanate, that little kingdom that we can officially be proud of."

Then he made us all speechless. We couldn't think of anymore reasons. It was typical he said, based on the kind of education we had fed ourselves upon that Sejarah textbook.

And then he argued that what we needed was a national myth. A legend, able to stand on its own to show the unity of Malaysians. No more Malay, Chinese or Indian agenda. But something that could made us all Malaysians.

During the break, my coursemate Rin told me, that she still thinks that by being born here in Malaysia, and to call Malaysia a home, it makes us a Malaysian, despite what our lecturer retorted. Many others agree too. I told Rin that our "open house" traditions transcend culture and race, and it became basically a practise for everyone staying here, as no other country does that. But I wonder if anyone will take that thought in seriously.

I tried asking that question to other non Political Science students.

I asked Joey, she don't really know how to answer. She just said she's born here. Same answer as Rin.

I asked Ephyon. He said "Durians". Okay, more links to food.

I asked my mom. She gave the same answer as Rin.

His question is still in my head, after such a long time. I planned to blog this much earlier, but I guess I just couldn't blog it without searching for the definite answer, without searching for what he deemed as a National Myth.

Lee Chong Wei's Olympic victory (or lost? Depends on how you see it) can be seen as one, not just because of his badminton skills which made Malaysia well known, but also because he was jumped for joy, and bearhugged Misbun Sidek so tightly till he did not want to let go. However, his victory back in Malaysia was too heavily politicised from both sides. Hence I dismissed that part.

And so, three weeks has passed, with Anwar emerging as a victor, some parts of the internet goes missing, I start to dismiss the fact that it is very hard to find that special moment that makes the whole Malaysia, feel, well, Malaysian.

I dug down deep inside of me to search for my special moment that I feel so Malaysian. And I remembered this Petronas commercial.

I still remember it as the best National Day commercial ever, because it shows nothing about race, nothing about propaganda, nothing about "we are different but the same" kind of message. None of it.

The story had narration. Then the scene showed an Indian boy sleeping soundly, then was shaken awake by his father. He was staying in a village. It was 4am or 5am in the morning. He had to endure a very cold bath (which I really could relate to because I was only 9 years old and had just started morning class. Cold baths in the morning everyday. Brr), and was given powder to make himself look clean, together with getting his clothes on.

His father rode a bicycle to a yet to be disclosed area. And they went into the stadium. By that time, there were already a crowd gathering at that stadium. He looked up to the majestic clock. And his father asked him to look at the podium. He was too short, therefore, his father carried him. And he saw, Tunku Abdul Rahman up close.

Screaming "Merdeka!" on the top of his lungs, Tunku Abdul Rahman made that special moment imprinted on every newspaper, every photograph. Even though (I assumed) he did not understand the meaning, the little boy just responded with "YA!". And he and his father, screamed.

And they both looked at each other remembering that moment. Then the narrator came out, revealing to be the boy, 40 years ago, how he witnessed the birth of Malaya, now Malaysia.

Yes, I know that Petronas raked in money like no business, but we all admit that they produced really memorable commercials.

I still feel like crying everytime I remember that commercial. Partly because I too, want to experience, to feel, what is it like, to stand at that stadium, to listen, to witness, the birth of that country. To see the father of the country.

Take apart the colourful parades, take apart the smiles, take apart the oath. Can we not just stand, and look at our Malaysian flags properly, with respect and love?

Take apart our stereotypes, take apart our negativity, take apart that hatred we had for one person, can we not just see, and smile at everybody you meet? Or even utter thank you?

Rip apart politics, and look deep, are we, really hating them for their race, or their stupidity?

Take apart myself, take apart my gender, take apart my multilinguistic abilities, my race, my religion, aren't I born in this country? Aren't I a Malaysian? I did not just came here by boat, or aeroplane, and seek fortune in this land. I grew up here. I salvaged whatever shit or wrong decisions that the government made, and also celebrate with glory upon which my country's name was mentioned. I may be impressed by other country's achievements, but success is still sweetest when my country had done something too.

"What is our National Myth? What makes us a Malaysian?"

The youths today will set course to the history. I want to create a National Myth.

I am a Malaysian.

1 comments:

i love patriotic petronas commercials myelf too! very heartfelt and what's best is that we can relate to it.

now about.. scorpios and if the story of the 3 scorpios give me significance.

my answer is yes :) cos i don't fall into the 1st and 3rd category but 2nd. can u tell which type r u?